Sciatica is a common yet frustrating thing to deal with, but millions of people do it every year. At Marron Wellness Center, we don’t want you to be one of the sufferers, so we have put together this guide to help you find relief.
Sciatica isn’t a condition itself, but rather the name used for symptoms caused by a compressed sciatic nerve. This nerve is the longest in your body – starting at your lower back and traveling down to each foot. This compression is typically caused by a herniated disc, which leads to spinal misalignment. The inner fluid of the disc spills out onto the sciatic nerve, causing a great deal of pain and discomfort.
What Are the Symptoms?
Some mild cases of sciatica might not produce any symptoms. However, you might also suffer with:
- Burning or tingling sensations along one leg
- Difficulty standing due to numbness, weakness, or intense pain
- Pain that seems to get worse when you sit and eases when you get up
- Back pain, tingling, and other symptoms on one side of the body
How a Chiropractor Helps
To treat sciatica, you have to relieve the compression of the nerve. One of the most effective ways to do this is by addressing any issues in the spinal column through the following:
- Adjustments, which restore alignment to the spine
- Decompression therapy stretches the spine and creates a vacuum to pull a herniated disc back in
- Therapeutic exercises, which stretch and strengthen the spinal column
- Therapeutic massage to relieve tension, improve blood flow, and more
How to Relieve Pain at Home
Chiropractic care is effective at treating many conditions, including sciatica. However, full recovery usually doesn’t happen overnight. That’s because the root cause of the symptoms usually requires several treatment sessions.
You might find that your symptoms flare up on the road to recovery. When you do, it’s nice to know what steps you can take at home. The following can help alleviate your leg and back pains:
- Move around. Although the pain might make you want to be still, this can actually be a problem. Moving around can help relieve the compression, so do some light stretches or gentle exercises. Even a short walk can help.
- Ice can help reduce inflammation around the nerve, which can relieve some of the pain.
- A warm bath can help relax the muscles, dilate blood vessels, and increase blood flow.
Our team will guide you through additional tips and stretches that you can do at home.
Find Sciatica Relief with Our Chiropractor in Eatontown, NJ
Don’t live with sciatica another day. Schedule an appointment with our team at Marron Wellness Center by calling us today at (732) 542-1272 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.